Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Romano's Macaroni Grill Bread CopyKat

Romano's Macaroni Grill is one of my favorite restaurants to go to in the Twin Cities Area. I love the environment and of course who does not love the bread. I don't have the best of pictures as this is not the best looking loaf I have made but oh it tastes so stinkin' good. I modify the recipe a little bit. The change is that I make the dough in my bread maker on the dough setting. From there I take it out and let it rise for a couple hours then bake as the recipe indicates. Best eaten warm with olive oil and fresh ground pepper.Romano's Macaroni Grill Focaccia

Ingredients:
2 tsp dry active yeast
2 C Warm water (110-115)
4 1/2 C unbleached flour (I used bread flour)
1/4 C Vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 Tbsp Sugar
3/4 Tsp Sea salt (I used regular salt)
1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil as needed
Kosher salt as needed
Dried rosemary as needed

Directions:
In a small mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in a 1/4 c of the warm water, set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine flour and oil. Mix at low speed. In another bowl add sugar to the remaining 1 3/4 c warm water and dissolve (it will not dissolve completely). Add sugar water slowly to flour mixture. Slowly add yeast water and combine.
Add sea salt, dried rosemary and balsamic vinegar to flour mixture and contine mixing dough until it becomes smooth and does not stick to the bowl approximately 10 minutes. Add more flour as needed to prevent stickiness.
Remove the dough from the mixer and place on a floured work surface. Cover with plastic wrap and allow dough to rest for 20 minutes. With floured hands, shape dough into a ball, place on a greased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours before using.
Remove from the refrigerator and flatten dough with your fingers to about 1 inch thickness, spreading dough across the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 until lightly golden about 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush loaf with EVOO sprinkle with kosher salt and dried rosemary. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until dark golden in color.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

YUM! I made this a few weeks ago, it was a big hit!