A couple weeks ago I was really feeling like we needed to have a good crock pot stew. I came across this one and thought it sounded pretty good so I thought I would go for it (with a few mods of course). My Father in Law happened to be over the day I made this and everyone gave it a huge thumbs up. It reheated well for lunches too.
Slow Cooked Italian Stew (Crock Pot)4¼ hours | 15 min prep | SERVES 6
|1/2||large yellow onion, thinly sliced|
|2||carrots, thinly sliced|
|1 (9||ounce) package cooked spicy chicken sausages, sliced|
|1 (8-10||ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes|
|1||green pepper, seeded and vertically cut into 1/2 inch thick slices|
|1||large zucchini, halved and cut into 3/8 inch thick pieces|
|1 1/2||cups fat free chicken broth (can use boullion and water)|
|2 (14 1/2||ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes|
|1/4||teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed|
|1/4||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1||garlic clove, finely minced|
|1 (14 1/2||ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (use another white bean if desired)|
|2||tablespoons fresh basil, chopped|
- Coat slow cooker with a light layer of cooking spray.
- Add carrots and onions. Top with chicken cubes and chicken sausage. Top with peppers and zucchini.
- Mix together the tomatoes, broth, rosemary, garlic and oregano. Pour on top of ingredients in the crockpot.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours. Vegetables should be tender and chicken cooked but not falling apart.
- Turn cooker to high and stir in cannellini beans and re-cover slow cooker. Cook and additional 10 to 15 minutes until beans are heated through.
- Laddle stew into bowls and garnish with basil.